Google BigQuery Training
Looking for the connection between Google Analytics 360 & BigQuery? We'll help you find it!
This course is designed to give a complete introduction and overview of using Google Analytics 360 data in Google BigQuery. If you’re a marketer, data scientist, or engineer and need direct access to the detailed data that underlies your GA360 reports, this course is for you.
Our trainers are actually consultants here at Bounteous, working every day in the materials they’ll be teaching – so you’ll get real-world tips and someone who can answer the difficult questions.
Google BigQuery 101
This course will introduce you to Google BigQuery, a powerful cloud data warehouse platform that companies can leverage for advanced reporting and to perform statistical analysis on big datasets. In this course, we dive into the particulars of working with Google Analytics 360 data and practice writing SQL queries on real data.
- Understand the role an enterprise data warehouse plays in enabling predictive analytics and real-time data analysis for your organization.
- Learn how BigQuery can ingest and use Google Analytics 360 data for use in reporting, analysis, dataset integration, and data science modeling.
- Take away ready-to-use SQL queries that can be applied to your organization’s Google Analytics data right away.
Who Should Attend?
- Marketers, engineers, and data scientists who want direct access to the underlying data behind Google Analytics reports.
- Managers who want to understand the capabilities of BigQuery and how to leverage it for their organizations.
- Common attendee roles: Digital Analyst, Analytics Engineer, Digital Marketing Manager, Data Scientist.
- It is strongly recommended, but not required, that attendees have a basic familiarity with SQL.
- It is strongly recommended, but not required, that attendees are familiar with Google Analytics or GA360 prior to class. Check out the Google Analytics 101 course to get up to speed.
- You do not need to have GA360 and BigQuery configured for this course. The class will use a demo training account for examples.
We begin with the big-picture basics:
- Google Cloud Platform, Google Marketing Platform, and their products and integrations.
- GCP management and costs.
- Google Analytics 360 integration with BigQuery.
- Applications of digital analytics data in BigQuery including reporting, analysis, dataset integration, and data science modeling.
We start our hands-on interaction with BigQuery by looking at the web interface and query language, including:
- Google Cloud Console and BigQuery UI.
- BigQuery data structure.
- BigQuery SQL dialects.
Google Analytics Schema in BigQuery
Next, we explore the details of the Google Analytics data in BigQuery and how it’s structured:
- GA schema overview.
- Dealing with nested and repeated fields.
- Understanding hit types and how records correspond to GA data.
Deriving Metrics Using Aggregations
A large portion of the day is spent performing hands-on queries in BigQuery to understand Google Analytics data and how to calculate metrics from it, such as:
- Replicating basic GA session metrics including users, sessions, pageviews, bounce rate, etc.
- Using BQ’s SQL features to query date ranges.
- Unnesting hit-level and product-level data and calculating metrics such as landing pages, time on page, and more.
- Using custom dimensions and custom metrics.
- Limitations of GA’s standard metrics and examples of alternative calculations.
- Best practices for structuring queries for readability.
Importing & Exporting Data
Finally, we’ll look at applications for using BigQuery to bring together data for analysis, visualization, and modeling:
- Importing and exporting data.
- Scheduling and automation.
- Integrations with other Google data sources (Firebase, Google Ads, Campaign Manager, YouTube, and others).
- Connecting data visualization tools including Data Studio.
Dedicated Q&A Time
A 30 minute Q&A time where your instructors can help with any questions surrounding your accounts.